Visual Museum Specialisation Course Programme
- The phases of an exhibition and curatorial project: from historical and archaeological exhibitions to contemporary art and multimedia exhibitions.
- The relationship between curator and designer: analysing and getting to know the authors of an exhibition
- The indoor/outdoor/permanent and temporary fit-outs: the work of the new fit-outs
- The research department: analysis and knowledge of roles
- Focus: archaeology exhibitions
- Case Studies
FITTING TECHNIQUES AND TRENDS
- Difference between Permanent and Temporary Exhibitions
- The approach to the exhibition space: the historical place and the ideal place
- The positioning of works in space: differences between archaeological, modern and contemporary art exhibitions
- The visitor experience in contemporary art exhibitions
- Case studies of fittings from recent decades
- Conservation of works: light and temperature, insights into regulations
LIGHTING AND COLOUR
- Light and colour in the museum space: elements of style and lighting technology.
- Focus: Contemporary Art Exhibitions - Video Installations/ Virtual Exhibitions
- Examples and case studies
- Communicating with the space: being able to communicate the exhibition to the visitor
- Classroom exercises
- How to communicate the project
- The communication department: analysis and knowledge of roles
- Cultural events and shows: staging and design
- Creation of an outfitting project. Design phases with revisions.
Course Programme in Metaverse, Augmented & Virtual Reality
Introduction to immersive technologies: definitions, examples and areas of application.
- Virtual Reality
- Augmented Reality
- Extended Reality
- Evolution of Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality from the 1950s to the present: birth and spread of the first hardware devices.
The current hardware market. AR and VR devices: most influential factors for the spread of specific hardware.VR-related issues and solutions.Why invest. Excursus on the most successful AR and VR projects.
Static rendering and real-time rendering: similarities and differences.
- Optimisation elements for real-time rendering
From the world of video games to the world of interior design. Unity3D and Unreal Engine: analysis of the interfaces and possible outputs of both software.Test live with VR visor and AR tablet
Practical exercise: realisation of a virtual environment from a dwg or pdf file using Blender.
Basic concepts: optimisation elements for real-time rendering:
- what low-poly means
- what are draw-calls
- optimal characteristics of textures and materials
Unity 3D pt 1:
- Introduction to the software and its interface.
- Main differences with popular static rendering software
- creation of a project folder
Unity 3D pt 2:
- Import of architectural structure realised with Blender
- Scene Creation
- Importing Textures and Creating Materials
- Main sources for CC0-licensed material
Unity 3D pt 3:
Difference between baked, real-time and mixed light sources;
- Lighting Baking
- Ambient occlusion: what it is used for and how to render it
Unity 3D pt 4:
- Flycam Creation
- Introduction to post-processing: when to use it.
- Creation of a PC build for immersive experience.
Unity 3D pt.5: let's create our first smartphone app
- Scripting in C#, project anatomy, basic scripting, online resources
- Let us create a simple script to modify the scene at runtime.
- Build & run on smartphones.
Unity 3D pt.6: creating an AR app
- The package manager: how to add functionality to your Unity project
- Test scene: download projects and resources from the web and include them in our project
- Build on smartphones: device requirements, functionalities, limitations
- Scene customisation.
Introduction to Web 3 and the Metaverse (metaverse, what why who)
- What is the Metaverse: definition and history
- What is multiuser and how it works
- What is an avatar
The economy of the Metaverse:
- Who and how do they make money in the metaverse?
- How is it bought in the metaverse?
- Overview of cryptocurrencies
- Notes on Blockchain and NFT
Visits to the main existing Metaversi (with Visor): evaluation and comparison of different use cases and analysis of problems
Products and services we can sell in the XR Metaverse
- BIM/CAD to VR
- AR for marketing
- XR for real estate
Business model and pricing: what works and what doesn't
Marketing in XR
- what can be done now
- what works (WebGL, AR filters, tools)
- what will be possible in the future
- Avatars: analysis of the most common types
- Immersive lecture (with visor): entering the IDI Multiverse and exploring a series of virtual rooms
- Tour of virtual environments: technical tips and optimisation techniques for the realisation of immersive projects.