Torino-Modena, 17 – 29 febbraio 2020
Become a car designer
Do you want to become a car designer?
Il Master in Car Design IDI is a full-immersion professional training course that will allow you to learn advanced automotive design techniques, learning to manage an automotive design project in all its phases, from concept to first drafts, up to 3D modeling.
Requirements: degree in engineering or materials related to design and design, or previous experience in the automotive design sector.
For further information
Turin - Modena
What you will learn:
Car body design
History of automotive design
Anthropometry and car ergonomics
Theory and technique of industrial design
Concept car sketching
Marketing and project management
Design software: Rhinoceros, self study Alias
The training process
Masters in Car Design
The Car Designer is a professional specialized in car design, body design, bodywork, accessories, lights, interior accessories and car finishing elements. This car design course e automotive design aims to provide students with all the tools necessary to create a complete automotive project, starting from the concept up to 3D rendering and the creation of scale models.
The creation of a new model of car requires a study of the relationship between mobility and territory, which combines the fundamental stylistic aspects with the use of the latest technologies of propulsion and engineering in the motors sector, ensuring high standards of energy saving and a reduction of emissions.
Design, produce, promote and commercialize one automotive design product it requires designers with specific skills, able to dialogue with different actors and to move outside the classical logic of the market, requiring technological and production skills, as well as basic project management skills.
The urban and road context is constantly evolving, as has become evident with the appearance of the control units for charging electric or hybrid vehicles, and the scenario in which the car designer (or automotive designer) operates is changing in step. Not to mention the birth of unmanned vehicles such as the Google Car, which makes it necessary to radically rethink the organization of the interior spaces of a car.
At the end of the master the students will have completed the training as a car designer and will find employment in technical studies and style centers of car manufacturers, or start their own professional studio of car & automotive design. The training received will allow to take care of all the phases of a project, from the acquisition and management of statistical data, to graphic design and 3D, up to the phase of internal communication and external promotion.
The most talented and motivated students will also find employment in important national and international companies that realize projects for the main brands in the automotive sector.
Finally, new professional paths open up for professionals interested in examining the alternative technologies of highly innovative and ecological transport, which lead to a significant reduction in environmental impact.
- Car body design
- Concept Car sketching
- Transportation design
- Historical-critical, methodological and contextual features of the history of industrial design
- Historical analysis of the development of theories and fundamental concepts of industrial design and of the concrete evolution of objects
- The most important foreign cases
- Italian history
- The economic boom and the growth of the industrial product
- Ergonomics in the car: habitability, accessibility, visibility, usability of controls, pleasantness, comfort
- The human / machine / environment system: drive, listen to music, adjust seats, view maps, etc.
- Anthropometric measurements: total height, legs, torso, arms, hands, head, eyes; driving posture
- Cognitive ergonomics: human-machine interface, on-board information systems, driving aid systems, on-board telematic info node (interfaces and commands)
- Usability and evaluation techniques: interaction with design, product intervention and tests
- Technological materials: metals, ceramics, polymers, glass, composites, technical fluids, surface coatings, fabrics, rubbers, natural materials, recycled materials, structural adhesives
- Materials and design solutions at the forefront and declined on a large scale
- Pencil technique: strokes, lines and curves
- Geometric constructions: scale and proportion
- Design concept: dimensional sketches, three-dimensional sketches
- Study and application of shapes, geometries, modules and modular elements to design and build structures through the knowledge and use of suitable materials
- Introduction to Industrial Design: views and projections, representation of mechanical components
- Brand screening
- Types of vehicles
- Range plan
- Carry over
- Legislative constraints
- Production technologies
- Color area: culture of the color of the brand, trends, technological knowledge, fabrics, leathers, special treatments, combinations, layouts
- Alias Auto Studio
- Knowledge of the commands
The ART instructor Marco Amadio will release the McNeel first level certificate!
- Preliminary lessons: texts + online platform
- Classroom phase: 96 hours
- Quarterly project work: realization of a project with an online tutor
- Take-off day: final day of project presentation in Modena
- Max. Participants: 25
How to apply
- Fill out the information request form and we will contact you within a few days. In the selection of candidates will be considered the school and work CV, in addition to the motivational letter produced; it is possible to support the candidacy with a portfolio of previous works. Considering these elements, the examining board will communicate the result of the selection and admission to the Course / Master, by submitting the registration form.
- Opportunity of financing the enrollment fee;
- Professional orientation meeting during the classroom stage;
- CV video realization during full-immersion;
- CV revision and updating for sending it to companies in the design sector at the end of the training process;
- Reports of accommodation facilities in areas adjacent to the venue of the classroom stage.
I am very satisfied with the topics covered. The way to deal with design through the use of software is really formative. Very high level of professionalism and availability of teachers: really a friendly attitude, especially considering that Maurizio Corbi is one of the best in the world in the field.
The teachers' approach to the subject was very correct. The amount of information received is extremely high. The drawing lesson with Andrea Mocellin helped me a lot in unlocking myself in this area. Very effective teaching.
The educational path was very intense and the lessons have always kept my level of attention very high. The approach taken with Alias and Photoshop is very formative.
I really enjoyed the experience related to this master and I feel really satisfied with how the teachers have dealt with the topics.
I believe that all the arguments have been treated in a clear and comprehensive manner. Furthermore, the structure and the equipment were very supportive of the needs of the training path.
All the teachers have answered fully my questions, showing a profound level of professionalism and competence.
The teachers showed they have a lot of professionalism and competence. During the whole training course my interest has always been very high.
The teachers were always very available. I was able to deepen my knowledge, but also talk to prominent figures in the automotive design world. I was happy to participate in the 2016 edition.
I am very satisfied with how the teachers presented the topics covered. My opinion on the whole course is very positive.
During the lessons my interest has always remained very high.
TAKE OFF DAY - 20 January 2018
- The highlight of the Master in Car Design, in the 2017 - 2018 edition, was the classroom phase held at the Turin Automobile Museum.
The Take Off Day confirmed as exceptional location the Modena Enzo Ferrari Museum built in honor of a man who built a legend.
The central theme of the project work that involved young aspiring designers was the Ferrari Berlinetta. The students of IDI, divided into three teams, have created a future generation of this type of car, turning an eye to the past but certainly looking ahead.
The Transportation Designer Marco Amadio and the Senior Designer for Pininfarina Maurizio Corbi have guided the students respectively regarding the part related to modeling and style.